Dec 2, 2013

collaboration: desert rose jewelry


MAKEUP- lauren fisher / MODEL- taylar davis / STYLING- malinda & I
PHOTOGRAPHY (film and digital)- malinda & I

green cocktail dress- KWJ/ maxi dresses- LUSH & ASTR/ furs- thrift
jewelry-all DESERT ROSE


meet the designer
MALINDA FISHER:

Q: What does fashion mean to you?

A: Fashion has always been my ultimate outlet for expressing myself, I love the opportunity of each morning where I can transform into the person I want to be for that day. My style is fairly minimal because I usually want my jewelry to speak louder than my clothes.

Q: How would you define your city's fashion?

A: Salt Lake City has a very dynamic fashion scene and that's what I love about it. Everyone's style is so unique and I find the most inspiration for my own wardrobe from people I see on the streets.

Q: At what point did designing jewelry go from fun to career? Do you consider jewelry making a career or hobby?

A: I have always loved accessories especially when I was younger. I started making jewelry out of found objects when I was in elementary school and wrote a report in the 7th grade about how I wanted to be a jeweler when I grew up. It wasn't until I realized that all of the jewelry I could afford in high school was not quite what I wanted and I began to make my own. I was selling my jewelry at craft fairs and on Etsy but came to another realization that I wanted complete creative freedom in making a piece. So under two years ago I took a silversmithing class and began to teach myself how to make the designs I envision a reality, all out of 100% raw materials.

I am extremely passionate about creating jewelry and I think
this is mostly because it's my career and hobby mixed together. All of my pieces that I design I create for myself first so I can work out the flaws for the final design that I want to sell and so I'm both a hobbyist and a business woman.

Q: What was the first piece of jewelry you ever designed?

A: The first piece of jewelry I ever designed out of raw materials is my Golden Sands Arm Cuff, which is brass wire that almost blooms over your arm and is definitely my favorite piece that I've ever created.


 Q: What inspires you when beginning the design process for a new collection? Do you have a specific method of research or does the theme just come to you?

A: My collections are inspired by the jewelry I would want to wear for that season and the stones that stand out to me. I am constantly building from my previous pieces so my jewelry line can be seen as a timeline of growth for me as a designer.

 Q: How long does it usually take you to construct a piece?

A: Since I'm primarily self-taught constructing new designs are an experiment that can take at least two hours to finalize. Most pieces I construct regularly take around one to three hours to finish.

Q: Do you prefer sketching designs or actually constructing them?

A: I always create a rough sketch of what I envision but I definitely prefer jumping right in and trying out constructing the materials rather than meticulously drawing out a plan. The trial-and-error process has been the greatest learning tool for me and I also get too excited when I have a new idea that I want to bring to life. 

Q: How would you define the style your jewelry exemplifies? What is unique about your jewelry?

A: The style of my jewelry is very feminine and unique, I love designing pieces that are pretty but will stand out. The most unique think about Desert Rose Jewelry is that it is created 100% from raw materials, aside from vintage chain everything down to the jump rings and clasps are made by hand with love.

Q: What do you love most about designing and creating your own jewelry?

A: I love the complete creative freedom I have, it's a wonderful feeling knowing that I can make just about anything I dream of.

Q: What have you learned over the course of being a designer?

A: The biggest trait I have acquired has been patience but also I have learned that it takes a lot of work and drive to be able to become successful in doing something that you love as a career.

Q: What is the most meaningful piece of jewelry you own?

A: My grandma's black onyx and silver rings that were handmade by her friend when she was younger. She is an amazing woman and I am reminded of her when I wear them.

Q: What do you do when you are looking to get inspired?

A: I try to escape out of my normal environment whether it's an impromptu trip across the state line or taking a different route on my walk home from school, exposing myself to new surroundings really fuels my creativity.

Q: Do you have a jewelry pet peeve?

A: I can't stand mass-produced, cheap jewelry. There are so many talented jewelry designers out there and I am lucky to be able to trade my work for other handmade pieces.

Q: Where can readers find out more about you and your work? Where can readers buy your jewelry?

A: I am always posting my newest creations on Instagram @desertrosejewelry and @malindafisher






This post also marks the beginning of a contest giveaway on Instagram for one of Desert Rose Jewelry's pieces! To enter:


1- Post your favorite photo from our blog
collaboration on your Instagram

2- Include the hashtag #windesertrose

3- Follow @desertrosejewelry on Instagram




The winner will be picked December 16, share with friends and anyone you think
would be interested in winning one of Malinda's gorgeous handcrafted pieces! (***This giveaway has now been closed, thank you to everyone who participated!***)








Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. These photos are so beautiful. Going to be entering your competition when I'm on my ipad!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dear! the model made it really easy, she was stunning. good luck with the giveaway :)

      Delete